Archive for the ‘About the city’ Category
Khanty-Mansiysk – the capital of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug-Ugra. The city is located on the territory of the West Siberian Plain, on the right bank of the Irtysh River, 20 kilometers away from its confluence with the Ob River. The total area of the town is about 338 square kilometers. It is located in a time zone «Yekaterinburg Time Zone +5:00». The time difference with Moscow is +2 hours. The population is about 76 thousand people.
Khanty-Mansiysk is named the world capital of skiing:
• 2000 – IBU Summer Biathlon World Championships
• 2001 – Junior Biathlon World Championships
• 2000, 2005 and 2007 – 2010 – E.ON IBU World Cup Biathlon
• 2002, 2004, 2006 – IBU Grand Prix
• 2003 – IBU Biathlon World Championships-2003
• 2005, 2010 – Mixed Relay for the IBU World Championships
• 2011 – IBU Biathlon World Championships-2011
There were also held international ski competitions. In April 2008, the Grand Prix Final «Sprint Tour-2008» took place in Khanty-Mansiysk.
In addition, Khanty-Mansiysk has its own professional ice hockey club “Ugra”. The team has become the champion of the Continental Hockey League of Russia twice, and now it represents the city in the CHL.
The love of citizens to winter sports is not a surprise, as 1/3 of year the city is covered by snow, and snow depth reaches one meter. At low humidity (80%) in winter the thermometer goes down to -40° C. Average temperature in winter is -20 down to -25° C.
Khanty-Mansiysk is located on seven hills and surrounded by the Irtysh River and its tributaries. Someone called city ´the green island´, because residential areas are spread across the natural park «Samarovsky Chugas». The pride of the park is the pine forest, which occupy about half of the forest zone. Thanks to landscapes, climate features and natural specialties «Samarovsky Chugas» has his own unique beauty: a combination of river meadows and steep banks which covered with taiga forest, many small lakes and marshes of the richest berries – all of this create the picture of unsurpassed beauty of nature in Western Siberia.
«Samarovsky Chugas» got its name from local people – the Khanty and Mansi, who lived in ancient times here. «Chugas» in a dialect of the Khanty people means the covered with forest high bank of the river. It is named like «Samarovsky» in honor of Khanty prince Samar, who had founded the town on the territory of the historic center of Khanty-Mansiysk which is called as Samar-vosh (second half of XVI century). Despite the fact that the development of the Russian territory has started in the late XVI century, the settlement had slow growth until the middle of the 20th century. In 1940, the village Ostyako-Vogulsk was renamed as Khanty-Mansiysk, and in 1950 it became a town. Samarovo was annexed to the town. New houses and new streets had grown rapidly, and businesses were developed fast.
Now there is almost nothing that is reminiscent those days. The city is developing rapidly and not only as a center of the oil region, but becoming more and more like the center of business activity, sports and cultural center. Also, Khanty-Mansiysk is developing as a center of economic management of the vast territory with a huge natural resource potential. Now there are centers of information processing, communication, financial institutions of the Okrug.