Archive for the ‘Venue info’ Category
The working meeting of the IBU and RBU Heads with Alexander Filipenko, the former Governor of Ugra took place in 1995. The protocol of cooperation was signed by the participants of the meeting. This protocol has defined the main stages of development of biathlon in Ugra. First of all, it attracted attention to the children and youth biathlon development. For this purpose the constructing of the Nordic Ski Center has begun in Khanty-Mansiysk in June 1996. The constructing experience on the Winter Olympic Games organization, using the most modern technology was used in design and building of the new sports complex. The construction was finished in 2000.
The Nordic Ski Center (NSC) became the whole-year functioning, its structure included children’s sports school for 300 students and 15 coaches. The stadium capacity was 10 000 spectators and shooting range had 30 targets (KES 2008). Total length of courses was 10 km. There rooms for teams, the press center with 2 halls with 200 working places and conference hall with simultaneous translation system and 30 commentary cabins were also built.
The hotel complex ‘On Seven Hills’ (3*), which is located just near to stadium was also joined to the Nordic Ski Center territory. Nowadays, this hotel is the main hospitality center for participants and guests on various competitions held in Khanty-Mansiysk.
Most of all, the NSC in Khanty-Mansiysk became the exclusive biathlon resort in Russia, which got the “A” license. It gave Khanty-Mansiysk the right to hold the Biathlon World Championships. Now the same licence has the sports complex in Ufa (Bashkortostan).
The decision to hold the Biathlon World Championships 2011 in Khanty-Mansiysk was taken at the IBU Congress in 2006. Based on changed IBU requirements and conditions for major international biathlon competitions, there were decided to reconstruct the Nordic Ski Center. It was decided to realize two stages of reconstruction. The first was completed in March 2010, up to the Biathlon World Cup Final 2010.
As a result of the first stage of reconstruction`s project, there was built not only a new stand for spectators of higher capacity, but also reconstructed the old ones. For example the Northern Stand included 400 seats before. So, today it capacity is 2,500. As a result, the stadium capacity increased up to 12,000 spectators and even more. For the convenient work of commentators their cabins were moved to the Northern Stand and now they are located directly above the seats. The Competition Office rooms and rooms for teams have become more comfortable and additional ones have appeared.
After the first stage of reconstruction the courses have important changes. It became more difficult, especially on the way to the shooting range. Two new climbs of 30 degrees have been added. Most of all now the spectators can see the race mostly in front of them but not on the video because of new course structure.
Now we will have the multipurpose center, where VIP-guests and ‘Biathlon Family Club’ could be accommodated. Its windows will be turned to the stadium. The installation of all external communication networks in accordance with modern international standards will be completed. It will ensure effective use of communication resources.
In accordance with the IBU requirements, courses will be expanded up to 10 meters (6 meters now). The start of relay and mass start competitions will be held behind the shooting range. Thanks to this innovation, before leaving the stadium, sportsmen will have to drive round the spectators at first. No doubts, the race will become more attractive. It was planned to reconstruct team rooms and the southern junction that will connect training zone with the new start zone for the mass start and relay competitions.
The changes will also affect the lighting systems and broadcasting. Nowadays, the power of lighting at the stadium has been brought up to 1200 lux and 1000 lux along the slopes, in places of TV work. The official broadcaster of the Biathlon World Championships 2011 – ‘Ugra’ – is already achieved all the necessary arrangements regarding the location and installation of television cameras. The Spider camera will be used during the Championship Khanty-Mansiysk for the first time.
For television and media workers another Press Center will be built right behind the current Press Centre.
The new building is a full-featured two-floor pavilion with 1200 square meters area. The meeting of the broadcasters (October 2011) helped to adjust the lay-out of the ground floor in accordance with the requirements of broadcasters, which will cover the event. The second floor of the new building will be equipped for the press and photojournalists work, as well as for the press conferences.
There is a plan to install a mobile pavilion for the spectators behind the Northern Stand, where they could have a snack and drink a cup of tea. Installed projector will inform on the events in the courses and stadium. The Southern Stand also will be expanded. The trade pavilion will be built beside the Stands. In addition, there will be also a platform for fans along the courses.
«We follow all requirements of the International Biathlon Union declared in 2009 while construction» – told Dmitry Shapoval (the director of the Ugra Construction Development Institute. – «We are planning the third construction stage too, but it will be realized in case of the necessary adaptation of the NSC for holding ski competitions».
It is worth saying that during the regular meeting of Ugra Government (2th of December, 2010), the Nordic Ski Center has received a new name. The new governor of Ugra Natalia Komarova proposed to give the Alexander Fillipenko name to the NSC, on the 80th anniversary of the Autonomous Okrug. Now, the Ugorian biathlon ‘mecca’ is called ‘The Nordic Ski Centre in Khanty-Mansiysk on behalf of A. Filipenko’.